I still can't upload my pictures!! Grrr... I wonder what the problem is. Ever since we moved into our new apartment I haven't been able to. But I could do so when in Grand Hyatt... any ideas people?
It's been so cold here. I wanted to walk out to the open air market again and get some more vegetables, but it's too cold to be out so long. I have discovered that the veg sold here are very ripe, therefore can't be kept too long. I stocked up on groceries last sat, and when I wanted to cook the asparagus on wed it was over ripe and 'nuah' already. Yucks. So had to chuck it out. As a result I need to get veg more than once a week, and that means either the expensive supermarket nearby or the open air market where the vendors sell from stalls along or in the middle of the road like at pasar malams. I quite like the latter as it's cheap and fun to walk around and browse.
While we are on the subject of veges... there is so little choice here! I only recognise a few types of veg, the rest are local stuff that I don't know how to cook. And even counting those, there aren't that many kinds. I was thinking back about what I can get in Spore, I counted about 22 kinds of veg! Here I only know how to cook chai sim/ sawi, cabbage, chinese cabbage, cauli, broccolli, snow peas and lettuce! Excluding carrots and baby corn. Sian already.
And as I may have mentioned, garlic is expensive too. I bought 1 bulb (just one bulb!) for 100yen (SGD 1.30) and it goes up to 280yen for a bulb. Must be designer garlic with DHA or alpha-carotenes etc! But I did manage to find a whole bag of garlic at less than 300yen at another supermarket over the weekend. I ahven't tried it out yet, so hopefull it's okay. Don't know why the vast price difference.
Wednesday, January 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment