Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Language Class

I do realise that I have been a bit lax in posting photos on this blog and I have resolved to put up more. But I don't have photos at the moment! I will try to take my camera out more to give you an idea of what the area looks like. Just hte other day someone asked me for photos of Japan and I realised I don't have any! Just those of my apartment and my toilet etc!

Well, I finally went for my Jap class. I was supposed to take a bus there but C was going to take it with me over the weekend so I will know what to do and where to get off. A bit diff to figure out how much and hwere to pay, hold on to LM as well as try and notice where to get off! Not to mention holding on to the stroller if I bring it too. But it was snowing and raining over the w/end and very cold so we didnt' get round to it. It was raining on tues as well when I was going for the class so I took a cab. The cab fare to and fro cost almost double the cost of the classes for a whole month!

Anyway I got there and by dint of showing to various people the pamphlet about the lesssons which had it in Jap as well, managed to find the place. There were about 6 students and 8 teachers, incld 3 people to look after the kids! I was rather worried I'd have to spend the whole/most of the lesson placating Little Miss, but I tiptoed away and she was apparently very good! The lessons were one-on-one for me cos I was the only one at beginners level. SOme of the others were 2 to a teacher. The lady who taught me for the first 45 mins was very friendly and spoke pretty good English. I enjoyed it. Then we had a tea break - green tea and some rice wafers- and I had to introduce myself to everyone, in English, of course! Then everyone introduced themselves in Jap! For the Japanese, I couldn't make out which were their names and which were the other Jap words! There was one fella from Brazil, one lady from Croatia (i think) and one lady from Russia, I think. There were also 2 other chinese-y looking ladies and one singaporean! The Singaporean and I instantly bonded and spent quite a lot of time talking. Going to meet her for coffee on Fri - yay, someone to talk to!

After the break I had another teacher. This one didn't speak English except for a few words. I found it so difficult cos I didn't know what he wanted me to do. Answer him or repeat after him? Say it again? Good thing there was a paper with the jap words as well as English translation otherwise I'd be completely lost! I found it pretty tiring. I wonder if he found me difficult too! I now have homework to do before the next class....

No comments: